At some point we all need to make some changes to our homes or business’ by way of a little renovation or in some cases a complete overhaul. Whatever your circumstance might be, an age-old topic seems to rear its head time and time again, asbestos.
Asbestos can cause some severe life changing illnesses and as such, around the early to mid-1980’s regulations or codes of conduct were put in place that mean you must seek professional helps when removing any products containing asbestos. In this article you will find some pointers on what to do and what not to do when making some renovations.
If you live in or around Perth, you can find some more in-depth information including prices for removal by searching asbestos removal quotes in Perth, or by searching for local authority guidelines for your area.
The do’s and don’ts of asbestos handling.
- Always get a professional to check before you start work, asbestos used to be used in all sorts of products such as tiles, cement, textiles, insulation, the list goes on and on so be sure to check before you start work.
- Take every precaution possible not to damage any materials containing asbestos. Asbestos can be airborne if the fibres are broken and could be inhaled it is damaged in any way.
- Always leave undamaged asbestos materials alone
- Never dust, sweep or vacuum clean any debris that might contain asbestos.
- Never attempt to sand or try to level asbestos flooring.
- Never move asbestos containing material through your house or place of business.
There you have it, a little research clearly shows that asbestos containing materials should be left well alone, call the professionals to remove any asbestos products or to make safe if possible.
How much do you value your health?
When looking at the health implications it is clear to see why asbestos is such a no-go area, there are medical sites that have reports of people contracting something called Asbestosis which is a serious, chronic but non-cancerous respiratory disease which causes aggravation to lung tissues causing them to scar. People have also become sick with numerous types of cancers which don’t appear to have any form of treatment.
To be sure to be sure, get in touch with one of your local asbestos specialists, make sure they have the correct accreditations for the work you need done, all that’s left is to make sure you get a fair price.